48 Views · In
Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard has revealed that he was advised to take personal leave after failing to secure a move away from the club.
Lingard had been heavily linked with a move away from Old Trafford after talks over a new contract between him and the club in November.
The 29-year-old had hoped to leave in the window just gone - either on loan or permanently, however United rejected multiple bids from the likes of Newcastle United, West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur to keep him at the club.
With just six months left, it seems likely the England international will leave the club at the end of the season for free and despite being promised he could leave in January.
Interim boss Ralf Rangnick has since explained why United did not sanction a move for Lingard to leave in January.
The German admitted that after the news that Mason Greenwood had been arrested on suspicion of rape, sexual assault and threats to kill following allegations of physical violence made by a young woman, Rangnick needed Lingard as an option for the team.
"In a way [Greenwood was a factor], yes, but the club told me, the board told me, they couldn't find an agreement with any clubs interested in him," he said.
"With the window closing Monday evening the board informed me they would rather he stay, so I could understand and accept. It was two things.
"We had a problem with Mason Greenwood and being without a player for the time being who hasn't played in weeks and the club not finding an agreement with another club."
Rangnick added that Lingard wouldn't play in the side's FA Cup fourth round tie against Middlesbrough on Friday - sparking concerns about the 29-year-old, however the midfielder revealed on Twitter the reason why he wouldn't be playing.
He tweeted: "The club advised me to have time off due to personal reasons! But my headspace is clear and Iâ€™ll always be professional when called upon and give 100 percent."
Welcome to Soundify